Benefits and Responsibilities
- Enjoy friendship with one or more international student(s).
- Meet with an assigned international student at least once a month for the assigned academic year/semester.
- Participate in social events offered by MIFP and get to know other Community Friends.
- Respect the student’s cultural and religious background.
- Contact MIFP when a problem with the student arises.
- Refer the students with their personal issues to the Office of International Students and Scholars. Personal issues include their medical, financial, visa, and housing problems.
- Refrain from using MIFP for contacting international students for any purposes other than those offered through MIFP.
- Abide by the NAFSA Statement of Ethics.
- Sign the Acknowledgement of Risk Form upon becoming a Community Friend.
Note: If you are currently a student at the University of Montana and interested in becoming a friend to help out new international students during their first semester on campus, contact the International Students and Scholars for its UM Global Partners Program.